Accomplished Much, Accomplished Little

Despite my best efforts, I woke up early today, which meant that as soon as my father noticed this fact, I was reminded of the fact that it was laundry day once more, and since my cousin was till at my sister’s house, it fell to me to soap and scrub the colored clothes (like the shirts and jeans) before rinsing and drying.

We had a relatively frugal lunch, given there was just the two of us, which meant finishing off the fried tokwa and cucumbers from last night.  I insisted on some hotdogs though, so we also had five (water-cooked) wieners just mix things up.

After that (and putting most of the rinsed colored clothing on hangars to dry of course), both of us went upstairs for some news. Mostly the same depressing imagery of what’s happening in Leyte and Samar, but the experience was made all the more sobering when my father took out the maps he had from when he was in DENR, and showed me just how many towns and cities all along the Leyte and Samar coastlines there really were… And how most of the news coverage was limited to barely the area outside Tacloban city.  

Which means things are likely going to look far worse when relief, and news agencies get a look at all those other towns, now that roads have been mostly cleared.

We left the house around mid-afternoon, to order a new bed cushion to replace the one I’m using right now (which due to age has flattened out and compacted).  It was amusing to watch my father still try to haggle out a discount from the (Chinese) store-owner, but whatever discounts to be had will have to be discussed tomorrow when we go pick the cushion up.

On a bit of good news for our end, we finally got communication from family at Ormoc.  Apparently they were only able to reply now because the whole area was out of electricity, and they were only able to charge their phones in the temporary charging station at the city proper itself.  They’re okay, but Tito Boy just confirmed what we kind of imagined — how everything was flattened, fruit trees and all.  

Still, we’re glad they’re okay, but the problem now is that they have no word of the extended family living in the direction of the Geothermal plant.

My sister and cousin, with the baby in tow, dropped by late afternoon.  My nephew was a whole more active than usual, this time around eagerly turning around in my arms, something he didn’t do the last time we visited.  My sister mentioned that he’s been having fevers over the past few days, likely connected to the fact that his first teeth seems to be breaking through his gums on his lower jaw.

Apparently her office is having a relief drive for the typhoon victims (the lack of which in my own office puzzling me), which finally gives her a valid excuse to dump the bulk of clothes she’s been keeping in her room (a whole lot of which were from our mother’s constant packages) in the name of charity.  This of course gave our father the idea to just got to Leyte this December, and bring all of that extra clothing he’s received from nanay (and like the rest of us never got to using) as well to give to our relatives there (as well as assess the damage to the family property).  I’m of a mind to tag along, but my sister scoffed that a dainty city-bred lass like me wouldn’t likely take well to the conditions in Ormoc right now, which won’t likely be any better come December.

Not really got any plans for tomorrow, but tatay is intimating that I join him for a visit to the wet market to buy more vegetables.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s