Disruptions, In More Ways Than One

So, I eventually did get to work before the MRT service shut down early due to the typhoon.  It was already raining a bit by then, but I was lucky to find that the station itself wasn’t crowded, and what’s more, there was a somewhat-unfilled train waiting on the station platform.  So I didn’t hesitate, and got in, and it promptly left the EDSA station barely five minutes later.

I arrived at the office two minutes before seven (after a quick run to Mercury Drug for coffee and juice), which left me with four hours before my shift actually started.  So after logging in, I tried to look around in the sleeping areas for empty bunks.  Surprisingly, I found one at the seventh floor sleep area.  So I lay my things around my head, and plunked myself down for (hopefully) some shut-eye.

It didn’t quite work out, as while there wasn’t anyone snoring, it was very hard to get comfortable on the laid-out cushion.  The lack of pillows made the process more difficult too.  So I spent two hours tossing and turning there, drifting between sleep and wakefulness, before I finally gave up.  I gathered my things, put on my shoes, and headed to the seventh-floor pantry.  There I ate the food I brought with me (the viand was morcon this time), and waited for one of the (free obviously) internet stations to be vacated.  

When one finally was, I plunked myself down, brought up Youtube, and searched for the Bomber Command special done by the Macgregor brothers. With a length of about an hour and forty-seven minutes, suffice to say it kept be occupied until the time that I had to go to the training room.

As for the training session itself, it was more of the same, but with increasing reminders that we were very close to actual floor training.  Indeed, to hammer that fact into our heads, sometime after lunchtime we went downstairs to the fifth floor to check if our section accesses were working already.  They were; this meant that we could take a look at the Ameriprise section, and what would be our workplace for the duration of our stay in Sykes.

If you’ve been in the business as long as I have, call center floors tend to look the same after a while, but what struck me about the Ameriprise area was how relatively unadorned it was.  Usually by around this time you’d expect some holiday comforts starting to manifest itself, but there, not even a hint of tinsel.  It was surprising. 

That said, at the very least we could expect that we’d have our own stations, with phones tagged to our IDs.  No transferring stations here, for sure.

After we had seen our fill, and satisfied our curiosities (particularly for the call-center newtimer on the team), it was back upstairs for the rest of our training session, which passed rather uneventfully from that point on.

By the time we were let out for the morning, the storm had mostly spent itself.  While it was still raining, it was barely a shower in strength.  The cold air remained though, but that was fine, as it eventually made it easier to go to bed once I arrived at the house.

P.S. Among the purchases I had made at Mercury Drug was a set of safety clips, which I found to my dismay was missing from the paper bag that had the canned coffee and juice. I had a mind to go back at the end of the shift to follow up on it, but discovered that the all-important receipt was nowhere on my person.  Oh well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s