Part Wedding Visit, Part Near-Roadtrip

As I mentioned the other day, the family (meaning myself, my father, my sister, her husband, and the baby) left at around eleven or so (locking the house behind us of course) for a four-hour trip to Silang, Cavite, the location of the wedding and the reception of a cousin from tatay’s side of the family.  It took that long, of course, due to encounters with barely-moving vehicular traffic (Silang proper and Nuvali were bad examples), but we eventually arrived at the resort-hotel where the reception was to take place at. In fact, we were the first of any of our relatives to arrive there, which meant that we were the first to check in.

The place was very nice, and it even had a pool as a centerpiece to the place, but whatever draw the pool normally had was negated by the fact that it was so bloody cold.  Silang’s close proximity to Tagaytay was bad enough, but there was this really really strong breeze blowing throughout the afternoon, which oddly enough just reminded me of the office. Brr. Suffice to say we didn’t even have to use the a/c in our room, the ceiling fan on its lowest setting was enough to make us retreat under the blankets later on.

The fact that there was a pool however meant that all of us had to make sure the baby didn’t wander into it by accident.

Our other relatives soon arrived one after another, followed by the bride herself and her husband-to-be plus his family, who were all from Mindoro. So the place was filled in quick order.

My brother-in-law had to head back to the city as he still had a shift at work, but since he left the car parked outside the resort (to be used when we finally went home the next day) it meant that he had to commute back to Metro Manila.  We had some dinner after that (paksiw na lechon and vegetables with quail eggs plus orange juice), but the price tag after almost made my sister’s eye pop from her sockets — it cost seven hundred-fifty pesos all told.  Yikes.

We all woke up for early breakfast, and my sister’s husband arrived just in time for it too, but soon enough we were all getting prepared for the wedding proper.  After everyone was bathed and changed, it was off to the church (San Juan de Nepomuceno parish), but as luck would have it, my right shoe’s soles chose that instant to fully-detach from the rest of the shoe itself. This led to a somewhat awkward situation where there I was, dressed to the nines, wandering among the stores close to the church, with one shoe in hand and half barefoot, looking for rugby/epoxy to glue the sole back on.  

I was able to buy some eventually, but this still meant that for most of the wedding itself I was actually out in front of the church, holding the sole to the shoe as I waited for the rugby to dry enough for me to wear the shoe again (and take turns watching the baby from my brother-in-law, as the kid was too hyper to sit still in the church). We only went in when close to the end of the wedding ceremony itself, if only to help my dad take pictures.

It was back to the resort for the reception. There was the usual food and games, but since I wasn’t a sponsor I excused myself early to retreat back to our room, to both get ready for the trip home and watch over the baby, who had fallen asleep around the time the buffet table was opened, and who spent the rest of the proceedings snoring with face in the pillow and his tush up in the air.  For my part, I just watched the Man of Steel (the newer version) on the TV, alternating with the Thor (Dark World) movie.

With the reception over, we packed our things, checked out, and said goodbye to our relatives.  Then it was back into my brother-in-law’s car… where we proceeded to go off the wrong exit and ended up well on the way to Batangas rather than the capital. Whoops.  After a loop at Santo Thomas, we managed to get back to the proper part of the express way (seeing Splash Island was a BIG clue we were heading in the right direction to our relief), then it was straight home.

My sister and the baby didn’t hop off at the house however, and would join my brother-in-law in heading back home to Quezon City, but they would be back by Monday.

As for yours truly, I was just happy to be back in my own bed again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s